View Single Post
Old 02-18-15, 03:51 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
OK. Wait. So, they didn't require a track certification or track racing experience before allowing people to race?

Originally Posted by taras0000
The problem with the OCA is they were never supportive of track and are now just hopping on the bandwagon.

As I mentioned above, the OCA never had a hand in how track was handled or organized. Track was the red-headed stepchild that was left to look after itself and figure out how to survive on its own. It got a small (almost non-existant) portion of HPC funding and was basically forgotten about once the OCAs budget was set. It did well for itself because it was allowed to grow organically. What worked was kept, what didn't was discarded. There are people in the cycling community that are still around from when there was a consistent track scene 10(+) years ago that seem to have no hand or say into how the events are being organized. I know the old Win-Del track is nothing special compared to Milton, but the people that were running those races, or even those that run the events at FCV, have the knowledge on how to structure a track event with multiple rider categories and larger than normal fields. Are they being consulted on any of this, or are they left to watch on the sidelines?

Who's in charge of the O-Cup events? Is there a communique available that had the race schedule laid out for the weekend still floating around? Would be interesting to see how things were scheduled compared to other events.
Sounds like what I've seen from more than one local/regional cycling organization. "Oh track? It's easy. It's like a crit but with no gears. Anybody can do it. Just pay your money and hop right on in..." MABRA (Mid-Atlantic Bicycle Racing Association) was like that for me.