Old 11-23-18, 04:16 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr T
Hi all
New here, but eventually found my way to this amazing thread. I hope the following may be relevant to the general topic
I have hung on to my bike from grad school days (78-82, in Berkeley, CA). Back in the day (~79), I bought a used road bike, for transportation..., well it is still with me, and I have recently started to clean/resuscitate it (this may be a monumental job...). The headbadge says it is an American Eagle and the serial number stamped in the bottom is KS 47685 W. I take it this is a pretty old bike (before 75?). Out of curiosity, I wonder if I can identify the model. What are the distinguishing features to look for? The bike had been totally repainted when I bought it, so there are no identifying markings I can see. Thanks in advance for any hints

P.S. Tried to attach a picture, but apparently am too new here?
Welcome to the forums. An American Eagle would be pre 1972 and possibly as far back as the mid-1960s. The 'W' under the serial number is actually the logo for West Coast Cycle (Supply), the California company that owned the brand. It's actually a backwards 'C' joined to the leading edge of the 'W", with a proper facing 'C' joined to the trailing edge. Best indicators of the bicycle model will be the brand and models of the major components (derailleurs, brakes, crankset), provided they are still original.