View Single Post
Old 12-25-18, 01:07 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Picked up this '85 Colorado FREE on CL. Serial prefix code G1285. I'll let the purists, pundits and hair-splitters decide whether it's a true "mixte". It does have a third set of stays, and the "top" tube is in line with the middle set of stays, and those stays and the "top" tube meet at the seat tube. So it's not just a step-through. But forward of the seat tube, it's a tube, rather than the two long stays going all the way from the head tube to the droupouts. There's one VERY OLD diagram, from Raleigh IIRC, referring to this frame design as a "sport", but that's far to generic a word for this design. Anyway, photos:

Came with steel handlebar with TOO much rise and sweep (made it steer like a bus), on a BMX-ish two-piece stem with a four-bolt cap matching the frame color. None of my swap-in bars fit that stem, so this one's a reasonable match, period-appropriate. I also installed the Axiom rack, a bit anachronistic, but a good fit and provides LOTS of heel clearance.

Everything needed adjustment; wheels were way out of true, brakes didn't grab right, etc. All the grease had turned to peanut butter. But it didn't actually need anything.

Original Vetta saddle was not in bad shape, but god-awful uncomfortable. Also had a cheap steel seatpost, so I swapped both.

Early generation Shimano cantis, August 1985 date code.

Not sure if the Light Action rear mech is original; it looks newer. Didn't check the date code yet.

Friction 3x6

Brake lever clamps. All the cockpit fasteners are phillips rather than allen.

Here's where the middle stays and "top" tube come together at the seat tube.

Thinking about turning it into a winter bike, since the friction thumbies should be pretty bomb-proof. A pair of salmon Kool-Stops are on the way.

We also got a '90-ish Expedition (?) free on CL, but it's missing quite a few components, and I haven't gotten a gander at the serial number or the component date codes yet.
Likes For madpogue: