Old 08-24-14, 02:47 AM
CarinusMalmari

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I seriously doubt many dutch feel suffer such inferiority when in front of traffic. I've seen high levels of equity with motor vehicle traffic exhibited by the Dutch. I just can't picture many dutch families feeding their kids such low-nutrition pablum.
The greatest trick John Forester ever pulled, was convincing his cult the Dutch don't exist. Instead he confabulates about a country that doesn't even remotely resemble the Netherlands. Some of his ramblings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOy13TV22I#t=2068

It's rather amusing really.

When in traffic, Dutch people will generally ride towards the right side of the road, because it's the considerate thing to do, so they rarely find themselves in front of traffic In turn, drivers will give them more than enough space, and don't door them. Close passes are rare. Happens to me maybe a handful of times per year (=5000+ kilometer) There is however a crude concept of taking the lane when circumstances require it. One notable example is when mothers take the lane to shield their children while teaching them how to ride: