View Single Post
Old 03-04-20, 12:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am not too picky about how good my paint looks, it is an expedition bike, it is supposed to have some nicks and scrapes.

That perforated rubber sheeting sold as a shelf liner, bought several rolls at Dollar Tree, it is the green stuff in the photo.
https://www.dollartree.com/black-non...n-rolls/205932

I only use it where parts are in contact with each other, I tie the various parts together using a combination of double sized velcro and zip ties so that most of the big parts are held together as one unit that can be lifted completely out of the case.

I took the photo after the big parts were packed, but I still have lots of small loose things that get added before I zip it up.

And then I throw in the other loose stuff. I made a center support out of a couple pieces of wood. In the photo you see some masonite that I used but that cracked, since then I switched to thin plywood for my center support.

At one time on this forum I recall someone suggested Saran Wrap or some competing brand of a kitchen cling wrap to wrap around bike parts to protect each other, but I have never tried that. Not sure how well that would work but that could be another option, but that likely is a single use sort of thng where the green sheeting I am using gets re-used.

In the photo below, I have my folding bike packed in the S&S Backpack case. That has the plywood that I now use for my center support.