Old 10-11-19, 02:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Winter 2002-2003 (I think), was relentlessly cold and snowy. I remember a slushy snowfall and then a persistent cold snap, road shoulders snowed in and the local trails covered with ice. A few guys made home-brewed studded MTB tires with sheet metal screws. And a few others, with a few screws loose, me included, got so stir crazy we met up one Sunday in a dank, mostly empty and since demolished commuter parking garage to do laps. It was good to see the boys, catch up on things, tell jokes and break each others chops for around 30 miles IIRC.

This garage was built with a "hump" to accommodate the ramps required to get cars from one level to another. I think it was at one end but can't remember for sure. Say it was 15 feet. We stayed on 1 level and kept going around. It sticks in my head that it was 12 laps to each of our approximately 30 miles. Doing the math, that's 5400 feet of climbing. IIRC Mont Ventoux is 3800 feet base to summit.

But at least there were no acorns.
I believe this was the Hicksville LIRR parking garage or some such ?. Jeff C was on that ?, I remember the conversation. Somewhere there’s a YouTube of a CLIMB member on his mt. bike, studded tires and all, doing laps around his frozen above ground swimming pool.

I used to ride PP all the time, it’s 2.2 miles from my job, I could do a few laps at lunch. Haven’t done that in a while.