cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
cudak888 "...futher mucking clock spring...." !

Kurt, years ago I picked up a NOS never laced SRAM S7 (Spectra 7, dated 2006) IGH at a LBS closeout sale for hardly any $$. I finally have a plan to use it as low tide beach cruiser I'll build around my early '90s Miyata Valley Runner frameset, which was made for the Swedish market. It's kind of interesting in that it has CF main tubes, aluminum lugs & stays, and a Chrome moly fork.

In any event, fiddling with the unlaced hub, the internals feel awful. I've seen posts warning about the grease that SRAM used. It certainly does seem, based on your experience, as if I should gird my loins and disassemble, clean, and grease this IGH before proceeding forward with a wheel build. Any advice you or others have to offer before I begin will be most appreciated.
Interesting. I'm all for the build, but I have to ask - how do you plan to install the anti-rotation washers in the vertical drops? Unlike Shimano or Sturmey's HMW534, I don't think SRAM ever made an anti-rotation washer for the application - though, of course, you can do what I did and file a pair of Shimano washers to fit.

I have no experience with the Spectros, but between the potential rebuild and the lack of rotation washers, I'd chuck it up on eBay as-is. Use the profits to get one of the former bike share Nexus 8 hubs that show up every now and then for cheap. You'll have a better chance of reliability, and the right washers for vertical installation are available with a click on the internet...

-Kurt