davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You dont mention an actual width that all paved road riders should use. All that typing, and you dont say. I cant imagine you are actually suggesting a 2.9" tire for road riding as that would eliminate the use of drop bar road bikes due to not being able to make everything fit. Rear triangles would need to change, cranksets would need to change, FDs would need to change, wheelsets would need to change, etc etc.
Your suggestion completely ignores the reality that many people ride road bikes to go as fast as they can. They may not be racing, but that doesnt mean they dont want a quick handling and fast bike.

There is a middle ground between very skinny tires and what you suggest. Its a vast middle ground, actually. A 28-32mm tire can be supple, fast, and comfortable for road riding. Low rolling resistance and spins quicker. Best of both worlds.
Heck, the 37mm Vittoria Hyper tires on my commute/touring bike are fast, light, and comfortable. A 3inch wide tire isnt needed to be comfortable.

There is no need to insult and dismiss cyclists for riding how they like. If some want to train like they will race- fine. If some want to ride only on the weekends and go all out when they do- fine. If some want to fatbike on pavement in the summer- fine.
Also, dont confuse disagreeing with some of what you claim as me being dismissive of how you ride. Those are separate.

My most used drop bar bikes are-
a road bike with tires that measure 27mm.
a road bike with tires that measure 31mm.
a touring bike with tires that measure 37mm.
a gravel bike with tires that measure 43mm.

I can ride all of them faster than my 2.35" mountain bike.
When on pavement, the 31mm tire road bike is what I am fastest on- due to a combination of geometry, weight, and tires. This thread is about performance, not comfort. Performance includes comfort, yes, but it isnt entirely comfort. You seem to advocate for comfort thru this thread, and then add general statements that your suggested comfort will also be fastest.
Heaven forbid bikes evolve into something better than their current form! Gasp! It's true, the wider the tire and lower the pressure does equate to better handling and more efficiency, I am absolutely advocating for 2.9" wide tires on the asphalt, doesn't mean the bike will be slow and clunky. Also, full disclosure, I wear spandex every day. It's leggings weather here in the Inland NW!