View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 07:02 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Refurbing our Santana Arriva

We bought this bike from Jim at Richardson Bike Mart, 14 or 15 years ago, and had a great time on it for a while. After a couple moves and family life getting in the way (I have a thread on this in the clyde forum) it's been sitting in the basement, gathering dust.
Gettin' back on the bikes, and going through all our rides. This is now on the short list.

Mechanically, I don't plan to change anything. The bar-ends and gear ranges are fine.
I'll clean/lube everything that doesn't need replacing.

I do plan on working on the 'look' a bit, though. Since it's a 'vintage' steed, I think a retro look would do well, especially given the color.
Honey brown Brooks saddles, matching bar tape, and I'm thinking about using brown cable housings as well. B17 up front, and maybe a 67 in the back, to give my Rear Admiral a little suspension.
As with many tandems, the top tube is a little chipped up, while the rest of the paint is in great shape.
Figured, instead of a repaint, I'd go with some top tube protection. Maybe matching bar tape wrapped around the front and rear tops.
Oh, and replace the black plastic bottle cages with silver or chrome.

We never did go for the newest-lightest-fastest when riding tandem, though we did rip around White Rock Lake at a pretty good clip, and I think this gal can serve for a good while longer, and look good doing it.

Last edited by velojym; 06-08-19 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For velojym: