View Single Post
Old 07-10-19, 08:23 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Looks like it isn't such a 'vintage' look compared to the newer Arriva. Nice to have such a timeless bike.

I'm waiting for some brifters for Jake, currently in NM with the Montague visiting family... also cleaning/fixing up my parents' dimestore tandem that I bought them long before I knew anything about bikes.

As Mom isn't really able to ride anymore, I'm just getting it cleaned up so they can sell it for a few bucks.

Back to my Santana... I am tempted to, once I've put the new brifters on my Kona, further clean up the old 105s and upgrade the tandem to a 9 speed. I believe it's an 8 speed cassette right now, and the XTR mech should, IIRC, handle it just fine. If not, I have another set of bar-end shifters of the 9 speed persuasion that should do nicely. Not a big deal, and probably wouldn't bother if I didn't already have the parts laying around.

Brown saddles... I may not be able to fit two B17s in my budget at the moment, so I may have to find something cheaper that'll work for a while, but the Brooks microfiber bar tape is only about $20, and I already have one set.

Brakes... I've gotten better at adjusting cantis, and think that I won't change the Dia Compes out for the near future. I do have some Kool Stop pads waiting for installation though.

Bearings... I doubt they're worn, but I'll give 'em a good greasing. I may change my mind and replace the balls though, as they aren't that expensive anyway.

Cables/housing... I was thinking about saddle brown or tan for housing, and some nice stainless/teflon inners.

Tires... 700x35 Panaracer Pasela TG for now, as I already have them. I may consider something else later, but the skinwalls will look pretty snazzy with the rest of the bike after the saddle/tape swap.

Stoker... Gotta get her out on the bike some and back up to speed.