View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 09:48 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
He have me two reasons, and I suspect a third:
1. Slightly more flex means better, more forgiving ride
2. The wide internal rim width helps spread load so “these days”, 36 is overkill.
3. He didn’t say but my research has indicated that it is pretty tough finding 36h rims.
1. as others mentioned the difference is greater in the tire choice, 36 is actually probably more comfortable but no big deal either way.
2. I largely agree, I just get 32h for everything and never have problems, I just pick the spokes to save weight or add the necessary strength. My touring bike has 2.3/2.0 butted spokes in the back, it'll hold with its mtb rim as well as any road touring wheel from my experience.
3. Probably becoming true, still doesn't keep it from being a decent option and nothing wrong on a touring bike with a little overbuilt.

Originally Posted by Jno
None of us knows how to true wheels - a fact that came to light when I read your earlier post. It’s on our to-do list. The bike is largely stock, but i did consider the dynohub. When I inventoried my battery powered stuff, I saw its virtue but I’m not sure if this tour, although long, isn’t a one-off, so I am trying to save money where the cost to me is inconvenience eg charging. The cost to get bike tour gear is surprising - it means it’ll be a long time until my wife lets me campaign to get the bike stuff I’ve been dreaming of for other bikes.... I should have started younger!
Can't complain too much, she's letting you tour.
It's important to know the basics of how to get a wheel straighter should something go wrong though disc brakes can negate that some what. If I broke a couple spokes on my touring bike I could just keep riding and not worry though I'd want to get it fixed asap.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My previous suggestion to get spare spokes that match your wheels stands, but I think in an earlier thread I suggested a Fiber Fix emergency spoke for the group. Since it is likely that nobody else in the group would have spare spokes for their specific wheels, the Fiber Fix would still be a good insurance policy to carry in case someone breaks a spoke.

Breaking a spoke is very rare, but the best way to make sure it does not happen is to be prepared for it. If you are not prepared for it, the odds of it happening is much greater.

And it is possible to do that repair with the Fiber Fix on a drive side rear spoke without removing the cassette.
For myself I prefer a tool that puts a Z-bend in the end of the spoke. With 5 bikes using 10 different wheel lengths although I don't like the added weight I prefer to carry a few extra long spokes, a cable cutter and the spoke bender. Also means I don't have to carry a chain whip, large wrench and cassette tool to change a busted spoke, the bend just laces into the empty spoke hole. Wheel fanatyk used to sell the tool which is used for lawn mower repair. Nice thing is its a permanent fix.