View Single Post
Old 10-14-15, 10:03 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I have posted a few times in this thread. With comments from some of the anti-music people here in mind, I took a ride on a rail trail in the northern suburbs of Manhattan this weekend WITHOUT any music playing on my bike. My objective was to see if people reacted any differently to me than when I've got my "happy songs" mix playing. It was hard to tell because at least 90% of the other trail users were wearing earbuds or talking on their cell phones.

That aside, I did become even more sensitive to how my music might irk some other cyclists or walkers, even though they might not confront me about it. I think I may just keep it off on "that" kind of ride from now on. But I still do not see where playing music on the open road on my way to work or on a tour could offend anyone. Those of you who find music on a bike speaker offensive: Is your commute in the countryside? In a city?
I only have my music on for rides when I know there will not be anyone else in close proximity. I never have it on during any group rides, or if I'm on a MUP with lots of other people nearby.

For example I rode 17 miles to the start of a group fun ride once, and had my music on the whole time. As I pulled up, I turned it off, and left it off for the entire group ride (although a few others on the ride had music going). Then when I peeled off to head back home I turned my music back on.