Old 05-14-17, 07:21 PM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Not sure where the Chattahoochee Bend aspect was mentioned.....but I look at this like a trail plan to nowhere unless they can make the other (more important) trail plan that depends on rail company giving up land. I mean, ANY trail is good, but this thing will put you off into some crap traffic without that connector trail that isn't getting any footing.
It depends on where you are going to or from, as to whether you consider it a "trail plan to nowhere". If you're anywhere along Mableton Parkway or Oakdale Road this plan will take you to the park-in-progress at Nickajack Creek, Riverview Landing, the Proctor Creek Greenway, and probably the things planned for the old city incinerator in the Riverside community (depending on what the City of Atlanta plans.) All this would happen with no more road crossing than an equivalent length of the Silver Comet Trail. In fact, on the Cobb County side, the only traffic you have to deal with is the crossing at Veterans Memorial (Highway 78). The rest is in the woods, by the river until you cross.

As for the Chattahoochee Bend plan, that's a project of the Trust for Public Land, and is a more longterm plan with a lot of pieces, including this trail. I interviewed the Cobb DOT person most involved in trail planning yesterday afternoon, and he mentioned Connect the Comet with no prompting from me. Cobb DOT is very supportive of the project, but there's no way at this time to force CSX to the table.