Thread: Goodbye Sugar
View Single Post
Old 04-03-19, 01:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
I gotta ask. So I've got a triathalon in August that I'm presently training for. My girlfriend and I are cutting sugar. You say that you became super responsive to sugar after cutting it out in regular diet. What would happen if I took sugar during the race/before the race?
For me, in a race, it's a performance enhancing drug. I did my best to race clean except I would carry a small bar of 50% sugar, 50% maple syrup. (I already knew maple syrup was at least part sucrose just by its effect on me. 30 years later I learned, yes, the pure stuff is 50% sucrose, 50% fructose. So my bar was 75% sucrose.) I'd eat that bar in the late miles of the race, say the last 10.

How long is your race? I'd worry about crashing before finishing. And if I were doing it and planning on starting the sugar early and eating it throughout to stay high that I would revert back to the life of sugar every day. As much as I realized with my test that sugar was a performance enhancing drug, I realized also that it is for me, addictive; both building tolerance and craving when it is removed. I've chosen not to go that route.

Ben