Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I am not sure where Carbonfiberboy got his info regarding this climb. Just go to RideWithGPS ( https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15981808 ) and you will find short segments of 14+% all over the place.

I also don't understand his money vs time issue WRT equipment changes. Time spent training is not a cost (to me). And the results bring value far beyond just this one ride. OTOH, a 32 tooth cassette brings no value (to me) beyond this one ride. The only reason why I have an 11-27 on my two sets of wheels is so I can ride 50/25 (F/R) without being cross-chained. And I don't know how doable a 32t is on my bike (yet). If just a 29 were enough, I would be willing to do that.

And if it is true that "You need to be doing 1000' climbs, period.", then this discussion is over. These are not available to me (without a drive that I am not going to be making just for a handful of training rides). That is why I started this thread. That kind of training would answer my questions naturally.

Whether or not I am actually going to do this one - as I said, I am not sure. I have more doubts than I had a few days ago.

dave

ps. Renting a bike for a couple weeks has crossed my mind here.
The 6 Gap link you posted is to a ride. Never take gradient values from a ride, only from a route. Go to your linked ride and hover over the max gradient figure. See where that is on the elevation profile. Go the the profile and greatly expand the profile right there. I can guarantee you that the road doesn't look like that. Next go to a 6 Gap route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/937985
and repeat the experiment. The difference between ride and route gradients is that a GPS-recorded route has recorded the elevation at either set or varying intervals, determined by the device's programming. Thus the gain "stutters.' How do you tell the difference? Drawn routes have cue sheets, rides don't, having segments instead.

I meant that assigning a value to dollars spent on minor equipment as being greater than the value of having this accomplishment wouldn't comport with my values system. For example, money spent on a plane ticket hopefully brings more value to one's life than the cost of the ticket, a one-time charge for a product which only exists for a few hours.

You're probably right that a 29 is it for your bike. I'm used to the Shimano world and its plethora of $40 large cassettes and RDs that go to 40+ teeth. I don't know if 24T and 36T chainrings would work with your crankset and FD, but probably a 26 X 29 rig would be good enough. Again, you'd have to experiment to see what gear-inches you need for your rig. Maybe 30 X 29 would be fine for you.

I see that you live in the flatland, maybe 170 miles to the Blue Ridge Mts. That is a long way. I drove 3 hours each way for this last Sunday ride, but I don't drive that far frequently, usually not more than 2 hours. Other than my 1000' climbs rec, if you could string together enough 200' - 500' climbs to get at least 6000' in 100 miles, that would for sure help. Not the same as doing 1000' hill repeats, but still a big help.

Big life experiences are nice, for sure. It's not just another ride IMO. We have people come from all over the world to participate in some of our local rides.