View Single Post
Old 04-20-06, 10:09 PM
Kadowaki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clarification. Of course "calories in < calories out" is true. My point is that it is more complicated than that. If someone asks how to win bike races you answer wouldn't be "go faster than the other racers."

Regarding Lapband versus bypass (Y) the Lapband doesn't bypass any part of the GI tract, so perhaps it may be a better option for someone who wants to be able to drink high caloric fluids without concern of dumping. Lapband is still considered permanent. Although reversible, if removed the weight loss would be regained. There is concern that in this country that weight loss, on average, is not as great with Lapband as opposed to bypass. For a further answer I would recommend researching a surgeon in your area by going to www.ASBS.org which is the American Society of Bariatric Surgery and the most widely recognized society that bariatric surgeons belong to. Most surgeons will provide educational seminars that go into great detail regarding the surgical options, risks and expected outcomes. I would not recognize any differences regarding an active lifestyle after surgery in general terms beyond the above issues.

Another option is to attend a support group at your local bariatric surgery center. We have these every other week at our facility and always welcome "preop" patients who are interested in learning about life after surgery firsthand from people who have been through the procedures.

Tom: congrats on what you have accomplished so far, I'm sure you will continue in the future. Thanks for your insight too.

Hill Slug please don't feel hopeless. I have seen so many patients come into my office with a look of defeat that is beating them down. The great part of a successful surgery is that the cycle that has been working against you (increased weight -> decreased activity/increased appetite/decreased energy -> increased weight) begins to work for you (less weight -> increased activity/energy/decreased appetite -> more weight loss). People do things they never thought possible. In my experience people who have established good exercise habits before surgery do very well after surgery.