Old 04-30-14, 08:30 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I agree about the additional weight, and energy stealing bounce... Mine robbed power especially when climbing hills (due a bit to the weight, but mostly to the pogo stick action).

When I switched to a suspension corrected rigid fork, I noticed better climbing as I expected. However, what surprised me was the handling felt more crisp and precise as well. As I thought about it, it made sense, because of no fork compression while turning.

My suggestion is for road, path and rail trail use, a rider should avoid suspension. However, if you desire suspension, the bottom line is do whatever keeps you riding. If one opts for suspension, I suggest springing (pun intended) for a fork with a lockout in order to gain some of the benefits of a rigid fork when you lock it out.

Even with paths in poor condition, I prefer a good quality wider tire, and lower pressure (if your weight allows) to help to reduce the bone jarring impact of the rough surface.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson