View Single Post
Old 11-29-19, 05:52 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Felt some weird drag in the 5-speed hub so I decided it was a good moment to open up the hub now my girlfriend is out with friends this evening.

First disassembly. Not bad but definitely quite a bit of gunk in the planet cage/sun gear assembly.

After a few rounds in the ultrasonic cleaner. Much better. Look at the color of the water though!

Insides look good too. No wear to be seen.

Lubed the little axles and the sprockets themselves.

This is what happens if you mix up your order reassembling and overthighten. The bearings pop out.

And everything together again.

So what did I end up doing? Basically I replaced some of the bearings (#19) and springs (#14, #18 , #35 ), lubed everything with white lithium grease where needed and put it together again.
One notable thing was a dislodged pawl spring on the gear ring assembly (#14)
You can already feel the wheel spinning much smoother. I could just give it a spin and lay it on top of my extended fingers and it wouldn't twist off and keeps spinning forever.

It just needs a bit more oil inside (about a spoonful) but I was out of oil. That's a job for tomorrow, together with an early test ride!
Likes For JaccoW: