View Single Post
Old 04-25-20, 09:33 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Needed a short ride this afternoon, so improvised a ride up the Mystic River in West Medford and continuing by the Mystic Lakes into Winchester, then continuing into the Flats before crossing Route 3 and beginning the first of two long, steep climbs up Johnson Road, followed by a sharp descent on Winchester Drive, Lexington, before crossing Lowell Street to continue on Maple Street, then following that over the Minuteman (lots of folks there) and picking up Mass. Ave. to roll back to Arlington and home. This was a 12-mile loop, all on roads, and there were an unusual number of people out taking the air, riding, walking, running, skating, and quite a few driving; many family groups, and more small children on the roads than I've ever seen. The barefaced and masked clans were each well-represented; I was breaking in a new mask, and was pleased with my oxygen supply during the climbs.

Harvard Ave., West Medford. Families out for a jolly afternoon. More masked children than I've seen previously.

Winchester, The Flats: daffodils, wisteria, shingles, and a quiet day.

Johnson Road, Winchester: looking backwards after climbing most of the first big hill. Note that the lion's share of the climb is around that curve, hidden from view.

And looking ahead to the top of the hill, up and over. Near the top of the second big hill, I counted 16 cars parked at the Whipple Hill trailhead. That's about 12 more than usual, and served as an index for the pent-up demand for a ramble in good Spring weather.

Rolled out on the Surly Trucker DeLuxe on this ride, big old Rat Trap Pass Extralights made for a smoth ride on the occasional runs of rough pavement, and the small cog on the Sugino triple crank civilized the hills.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-26-20 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: