Old 05-05-20, 05:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
↑↑↑↑
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
It is a doppler radar and it works by alerting riders of traffic approaching from the rear.

It is very effective.

I am very happy with it.

Here is a full review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/...th-review.html
I skimmed the lengthy review and noted:
”Yes, it’s a bike radar. But no, it’s not the first bike radar Garmin has made.

And yes, I can hear the comments about ‘why not buy a $15 mirror’ already being furiously typed into your keyboard...

Garmin states that range is 153 meters [167 yards], and that seems about right from when I see vehicles trigger on my unit (I’ve actually seen it further than that in flat conditions).”
FWIW as a mirror advocate, and not to scoff at the product, I had posted on a previous thread: "Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph":
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Earlier on this thread I posed this question
At what point do you realize that the upcoming car ain't gonna swerve out of your line of travel?
It is still a bit unsettling to take the lane, though my rearview mirrors keep me aware, and I now scan them more frequently....

I soon determined that at about 30 yards [27 meters] behind me, the driver probably has noticed me, but is not yet impatient.

So at that point I veer rightward to acknowledege the car’s presence and show my cooperative “share the road” attitude…
So I think that 153 meters is a long way off, and quick decisions are made at a shorter distance.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Having been hit from behind by a vehicle not so far in the distant past that video brings back some unpleasant memories for me. Luckily the car was only going about half the speed.

For those of you who think that you could have avoided such as situation if you were monitoring the rearward traffic using a mirror, I highly doubt that.

I was wearing a mirror at the time that I was hit. I saw the car coming up from behind me, but like every other car that has passed me in all of my riding up to that point, I expected it to move over.

Sometimes they move over early. Sometimes they move over later. But they always move...until they don't. And by the time you realize it it's too late to react.

You can't swerve to the right every time a car is about to pass you either. That's no way to ride a bike. A mirror helps you in other ways, so I continue to use it...

We trust that cars are going to move over to pass us, and almost all of the time they do. If this makes you uncomfortable, then you have to find ways to avoid being in that situation in the first place.
↓↓↓↓

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-05-20 at 05:30 PM.