Old 08-14-18, 07:34 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronno6
I am returning to cycling after about 17 months off due to inj8ury and laziness..
I am 66 tears old, 6'4", and weigh a plump 262#..
I pulled a hamstring in March 2017, followed by a sprained ankle in early April.
When I went for a couple of short rides (22 and 16 miles) in early July 2017, my right knee started to hurt rather badly.
I had the Big 4: torn meniscus. arthritis, Baker cyst and bursitis.
Went for PT before getting injected.
3 Rooster comb shots and many months later, my knee is not perfect, but does not seem to be irritated by "riding."
I use quotes because what I am doing now is a far cry from what I had been doing.
I have done 5 rides this week, 8 miles each, and have averaged between 13 and 14mph.
I try to avoid hills in the beginning, but will gradually feed them into the mix as my abilities return.
Upper body fatigue, as always after a layoff, is my first hurdle.
Saddle soreness also noticeable.
I am trying to keep from overdoing things, but it is difficult not to be discouraged.
I plan on increasing the mileage slowly, and ramping up the intensity....slowly, figuring
that I need to establish and enhance my basic fitness before worrying too much about weight loss.

does this sound reasonable, or should I be riding more (or, less...???)
I appreciate this post.

I've been getting back to riding but am being very careful about it. I've had some foot pain and some back pain this week, so I'll probably take it easy and go bass fishing and/or kayaking.

It's a little discouraging, but one must make concessions to the aging process.

Here in Louisville we are very fortunate to have the Parklands development. 19 miles of lovely bike paths free of cars. There is a 7 mile stretch right in the middle that is pretty flat so that's where I usually go.