Old 06-25-19, 10:04 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Temps in Banff and Lake Louise are usually not too bad but plan for the odd cool weather. Jasper is a little cooler overall. Along the Icefield parkway anything can go although mid July/August is usually stable.

If you cycle into the parks you do not need a park pass. The shuttle charges you because as a motor vehicle it had to pay.

However. It's a full days ride to Banff from Calgary (135km) and 3-4 from Edmonton to Jasper so the fee/shuttle pays if you are on a tight schedule.
You do need to purchase a pass if you cycle into the park. You can sneak by if you coming from Canmore on the legacy trail, but we did have to show a pass entering Jasper from the west on highway 16 a couple of years ago.

If you entered by a shuttle you don't have to worry about it, its included in your shuttle fee. I have seen them checking vehicles for passes on the Icefields Parkway, but I don't think they generally check cyclists.

I would bring a sleeping bag for the hostels, they are pretty minimal and nights can be cold.

Also bring lots of money, the tourist season is short and they need to make hay while the sun shines.