skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Curious.

I have never purchased a pass in all the years I've been there non motorized (35 years) though I have not entered Jasper from the west. Perhaps you got caught in some sort of ticket blitz? Did you ride up to the booth intentionally and ask if you should buy a pass? I can see them selling one then.

As a cyclist I don't sneak and camp in designated campsites. I just ride by and have never gotten questioned or stopped. Hundreds ride the legacy trail every day in summer and it is now the default cycle route for that section so one can hardly call it sneaking. If they wanted a cyclist to pay they would probably advertise somewhere. Otherwise you need to cross the east bound lanes of the Trans Can on foot to get to the west bound ticket booth. No one is expected to do that.

Also did not require one for Hwy 93.
I almost always have a pass being a pseudo-local, although it is usually in my car. People ride in from Canmore to Banff on the legacy trail and nobody cares, and I agree it would be hazardous to stop and try and buy one there.

Before our tour, one of the members contacted Parks and was told we needed to have a pass, so they brought their group pass from their vehicle. As we approached Jasper we were riding with another couple of people, and they were prepared to argue that because of their low carbon footprint and the effects of climate change on glaciers in the park, they should be allowed in for free. As we approached there was somebody in the booth and somebody outside that directed us to the booth. It turned out they were training seasonal park staff that day so there were extra people around. We spent a few minutes as the supervisor was looking at our pass and making sure the new employee entered everything properly in the computer. We snuck the others in on our permit, and went on our way.

I have never seen them check cyclists or ask them for permits inside the park, or even heard of it happening, but thems the rules.