View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 07:13 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I'm one of the guys who'd be complaining. When I work at the co-op, I look forward to mechanical challenges and working with the folks that need help with them. Sorting and stripping scrap metal is not rewarding work to me, and I'd grumble about it. I can spend an hour or so each day doing a few bikes anyway for the sake of the co-op, we all do. But c'mon, 500 bikes?

Our local sheriff gives us dozens of bikes every year or so, and that's hard enough. Usually there's not a single usable bike, and limited space to store garbage until we can get someone to haul them for scrap. Sure, it's worth the time and vehicle cost for someone, but just barely. The guy we usually get just ekes out a living at it. And we spend the time to strip and sort the aluminum for him, even pulling the brake bosses and all suspension bushings. That takes (pretty mindless) volunteer time. It's hard to find a volunteer to keep doing that for days at a time.

I think we all like to build things--that's rewarding--not tear them down for scrap.
Likes For andrewclaus: