View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 08:05 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Just a quick note on disc brake maintenance: I flush and fill my brakes every 5,000 miles or so. Takes about 20 minutes. I do nothing else to them the rest of the year, other than take a peek at the pad thickness every couple of months.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
My discs have required far less maintenance. How often do you think that you're going to need to bleed your brakes? Unless you live in some hellish, post-apocalyptic landscape, it should be tens of thousands of miles.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I usually do a quick bleed annually, and a full flush every other year. I use Shimano resin pads, so pads need to be replaced annually(10k miles), but it’s a 5 minute job to replace pads.
I hadn't even researched the service intervals for disc brakes. That's actually not bad. Any idea how many miles people are getting out of their rotors and discs? If I go disc, it would be shimano 105 hydraulic.

I live/ride in Socal. I don't see myself riding in the rain, maybe after a light shower, but I'm more of a fair weather rider. I'm looking at a Canyon Aeroad or Ultimate as my n+1. I'm still unsure which one would be best. I currently ride an Allez Sprint, which is probably the worst beginner bike, but coming from a sport car/bike background I wanted a race bike. The second bike would serve as my training bike that I'd put most of my miles on.