View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 10:20 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If anything, our experience is more dramatic. The rides that cost $20 forever are now charging $60. A few newcomers (Hincapie Fondo and others) are charging $225 and up. (Tulsa Tough's fondos are ridiculously expensive for what are basically midling group rides on run-of-the-mill roads.) But a LOT of the former rides and races have died in Middle Tennessee. Last year, two "pay" rides died. This year, I can count seven long-time events (six rides and a triathlon) that have been cancelled. A couple major rides in Georgia went away because law enforcement is no longer willing to facilitate a major ride. They don't want you there.

I have to acknowledge that I'm another one that usually rides centuries and metrics on my own time. I don't feel I get anything from being a part of most organized rides. A "pay" ride has to have some special appeal to get me to sign up. If I ride one, unless it is extremely hot during the ride, I ride them non-stop and without support, anyway. And most post-ride meals are pretty disappointing.