Old 11-30-18, 10:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
New York City Cycling -- CRAZY!!!
Originally Posted by noglider
And yet, because motor vehicle speeds are lower, you might be safer here from injury and death than in the suburbs or rural areas.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
When you have that many people walking around and that many cars in such a small space what do you expect? Having to dodge that many pedestrians would be such a nuisance.
I previously posted:
Originally Posted by C.Jester
...I’ve always felt safer riding in heavy traffic in town than out on the back roads. At least if I get hit in town, there are witnesses and someone to call 911
Originally Posted by noglider
The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As a social ballroom dancer with years of lessons, as well as urban commuter, may I say, "Well said."

There was thread once about rural vs urban cycling, and a concensus was that urban cycling was safer, because of the congestion and slower speeds. Even with heavy traffic, I know the patterns of traffic, the "dance steps," and can anticipate the car's movements.

Earlier on this thread, I wrote: An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood," though we don't watch our feet when we dance.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-18 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added quote by mcours2006