View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 11:34 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I never came across a tube I couldn't inflate enough to find a hole if there is one. You can inflate it to much larger than the deflated tube without damaging it. Have you checked for a slow leak at the valve If it is deflating over a couple of weeks, the hole may be very small or the valve could be leaking a bit.

As to the OP. Do you mean the holes in the tube are at different places relative to the valve opening in the rim? If that is the case it is more of a mystery. If the cause was a bad point in the rim liner the hole should always be at one point on the tube equidistant from the valve. In a pinch you can cover the existing liner with narrow electrical tape. I've done that for years and it works fine.
Have you run your hand around the inside of the rim looking for burrs? It's easy to file down them if you find one. That could be your source of the holes but it still would be located around the same distance from the valve on all of the tubes.
Butyl rim strips or strips that aren't tight enough to prevent movement or sliding on the rim can be pushed out of position by unmounting and remounting the tire to patch the leak. I ended up with two flats on a tour once. One from a glass shard, and one miles later from an exposed spoke hole. If the strip needs to be replaced, it's possible to expose new spoke holes to cut the tube.