Old 02-26-21, 08:23 AM
Futurecat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=genejockey;21941102]It's the cage length that matters.

I was running a 2006 Centaur short cage rear on my Battaglin, but wanted to go beyond the 12-28 I was running (not as young as i used to be!), so I bought a new Veloce 10 sp medium cage derailleur that allows me to run 12-30. SO, if you were running a triple, I'd bet the derailleur is already at least medium cage. Measure the distance between the jockey wheel axle centers. If it's 55mm, you've got a short cage. 72.5mm, and it's medium, and longer than that and it's long. Since you've got a triple, it's really unlikely yours is short cage - you need the longer cage to handle the 20 tooth difference between small and large chainrings.[/QUOTE @genejockey. I have to say .. you are the man! Great knowledge. I have checked and my derailleur, it is 90mm between the two jockey wheel axels, so must be Long.

Q1) Can I just unbolt the inner ring (30) from my current triple (52/42/30) and use the remaining two rings as a double (52/42)? I would use a 111mm Centaur Bottom Bracket instead of the current 115 Centaur Bottom Bracket to account for the removal of one ring.

Q2) If the above is not possible, I have see on ebay a true Veloce double 53/39. Can I use my 53 chain ring from my current triple on the new double? I have read somewhere that the BCD (Bolt Chain Distance) may be different? Any ideas?

The reason I ask is because the Campag Derailleur documentation states that there should be a max difference between Front and Rear teeth of 22 teeth.

If none of the above are possible, then I guess I need find some after market outer chain rings.

@akjphil Good to hear! Please keep me posted on progress.