View Single Post
Old 04-05-12, 07:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I don't want this thread locked (although I have no vids to put up any time soon) but there are two factors at work here and so I'll pipe up.

One is the absolute crushing strength of Thurlow Rogers. I think if he were born 5-8 years later he'd have been at least a Paris Nice type winner or a one day Classic contender (thinking a Stuart O'Grady type rider). As it was his peak was in the mid 1980s, when the safe route for a high level US rider was to remain amateur.

I've seen him twice at Red Trolley. The first time he was "sick" and won two races, one of them solo (and I asked to take a picture with him after that race because he's an icon in US cycling). The second time he was "really sick" and didn't race at all.

We have similar rides here, although not quite the same international level. April 22nd there's a race in RI and I totally expect Frank and Mark McCormack to show up. Mark won the Philly race outright, one of a few US riders that won the race in the process of earning the national title (many others were in breaks with non-US riders, trading the win for the jersey).

So what's the tactic? Well, they throw down at the start of each race. Last time I raced with them I was sucking wheel at 400w and they rode me off their wheels.

Once they get away (not if), it'll be very difficult to bring them back. It would behoove a lower team (like mine) to save it for the sprint.

That brings up the second thing. Tactics is not about winning only. It's about doing the best with what you have. We're one of those teams with 911s at the 24 hours of Lemans. We can't compete against the race dominating V10 diesels from Audi. We'll get lapped many times. But in the world of 911s, we can do okay.

There's no shame in racing at one's level. It's why there are categories. We could just as well criticize Cat 4s for not being as good at Lance. Because, in a sense, that's what you're comparing here. Thurlow was one of the absolute top amateurs in the world, and this before EPO and such. Many of his teammates are similarly gifted (last I saw). They are not the same as you and me, unless you are a former international level cycling star.