Old 03-27-19, 03:45 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, I'm wearing casual shoes and using urban style platform pedals, not mountain biking footwear and pedals. Big difference in grip. The Stolen Bike Brand Thermalite pedals are reasonably grippy with built in plastic pins, but grip depends on my shoes. The only time I notice any problems is when group rides veer off the city pavement onto gravel or rough roads.

If I ever do get a proper off-pavement bike I'll get proper pedals and shoes. I have my eye on a 1990s Kona Lava Dome just for that purpose. Nothing tricky or techy, just gravel and occasional entry level singletrack locally.
Yes, the MTB shoes and pedals do make a difference but as I say, if you're off your butt with your weight on your feet, it's gotta be pretty darn bumpy to get your feet bounced off the pedals--your feet are pushing down into the pedals, and the bike/pedals are pushing up into your feet as you go over bumps. Look at BMX'ers just wearing Vans and cheapo plastic pedals or whatever. Unless if you're wearing shoes that are decidedly "slippy", or, shoes with too much tread/lugs, like some running shoes, which can mean not enough contact between the sole and the pedal surface. FWIW, I have these on my urban/around town bike--not as aggressive as some MTB pedals, but work great with most shoes: https://www.amazon.com/VP-Components...3722949&sr=8-2