Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
Hey everyone,

I'm a somewhat younger rider who's just getting into the sport. Before I ever picked up a road bike I knew that premiere cyclists of the past have used steroids. What's the general consensus on this subject? Do cyclists still use these products at the top levels of the game, or was there a big backlash against it after the fallout with Armstrong back in the day? I'd be really interest to see a comparative graph with data showing how much performance differs from cyclists who use steroids vs. cyclists who don't use them; in short, I'd like some raw info on the performance enhancing effects.

I'll commit this thread to steroids in general. Share any perspectives, thoughts, incites, or personal stories. Thanks for your time.
Steroids are a type of drugs used by cyclists. See the doping thread for opinions on the professional use.

For younger riders just getting into it (not the forum title), I don't think it is much of an issue, anywhere. And I do think it varies by location.
But the dopers seem to be:
-at the very young elite end trying to become pro
-pros trying to move up / pay the bills (this forum - see drug thread)
-or at the older end trying not to decline so fast. Most pros have stopped riding by this time.