Old 05-21-19, 10:56 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Well sure it is. As evidenced by the vast majority of very fast bike racers throughout the decades.

If you want to lift weights, do so. But asserting that it's necessary to improve at cycling is simply made-up and ridiculous. There are 101 ways to train for endurance sports; weights, running, general fitness activities, yoga, or any of another dozen activities may or may not be a part of that. Do what you enjoy and have fun with it. Don't make something up to try and justify it, though.
You need to look at my whole post, not just the part you quoted. I started off by addressing the issue of health, not just cardio, but a healthy musculoskeletal system -- take note of how many old people are troubled by joint/bone issues, as well as other musculoskeletal system problems.

Does one need to lift weights...No. However, it is an activity that can help so many.

As for cycling improvement, I know it has improved mine, but I agree it's not absolutely necessary, but again, for many it would help.

BTW, I'm 54 and I noticed my body falling apart after years of cycling (over 30), simply because there were areas that were not used nearly as much as others. Maybe this is one of those things where youth is wasted on the young...I wish I had it all to do over again...

https://www.bicycling.com/training/g...in-like-a-pro/

Long gone are the days when cyclists eschewed strength training because they were afraid to make a little muscle. Today’s riders know that the right off the bike resistance training can improve your wattswithout weighing you down. Here are the super effective moves top riders swear by

SQUAT / DEADLIFT / LEG PRESS TRIFECTA

If you want to hit every cycling muscle that matters, these are your must-do moves say elite American road cyclists Joe Dombrowski and Alex Howes both of the Cannondale-Drapac pro squad.

“My favorite two moves in the gym are squats and deadlifts,” says Howes. “When done properly, they hit every muscle that matters in the lower body and really strengthen the muscles in the lower back, which is key to good form and power transfer on the bike...