Old 05-21-19, 05:39 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My bolding. Quite so, ridiculous. OTOH asserting that it's unhelpful flies in the face of scientific research and pro training practice. I do note and applaud that you are not saying it's unhelpful. Is that a new position?

Sagan's directeur sportif:
Sagan does squats at 80-90% of 1MR with focus on speed.
Sagan one day got off his couch, got on his bike, and started putting out more power than I can when fully trained.

What a professional does or does not do in training really matters less than anything. Their bodies respond to training like nothing I can even fathom. Nate Brown moved to my city (when he's not in Girona or riding in... the Giro ) and to see his training and then the power he puts out from that is utterly mindboggling. And apparently he has teammates that quite literally just do nothing in the off season and roll up to camp and start slaying people within days.

Talent matters more than anything possible when it comes to performance training. These guys could have the worst training plan imaginable and still destroy everyone else by virtue of their other-worldy physiology. It simply doesn't matter until they start racing at a level where lots of other people are similarly talented. Then little things start mattering a whole lot so all sorts of marginal and imaginary gains are gotten.