View Single Post
Old 07-20-19, 07:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Someone (who is not me) decided we'd head over to the Boston area for our vacation next week. Anyone can recommend activities/cool stuff to do in the area (2 adults, 2 late teens)?

Doesn't have to be cycling related, but bonus points if it is! We will not have our bikes unfortunately.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I live on Comm Ave (Commonwealth Avenue) on the route described by @TBXDan. And I have considered myself as Boston’s Ambassador to Bike Forums

I also have suggested Boston specifically as a cycling destinationI’m adventurous when I visit a new city, so here’s the most basic suggestions I would give myself…
When I visit a city, even for a conference, or with family on vacation, I like to get in some”serious cycling,” mostly in the early AM, around other activities. If I don’t bring my my own bike I like to rent.

FYI, My own Bike Shop, Back Bay Bikes, located in the near downtown on Comm Ave rents quality (at least satisfactory) bikes, and I do believe they have road bikes and will install your own pedals.

BTW, parking is problematic, or expensive in the vibrant areas of Boston mentioned above, but a car is not necessarily useful, and even can be detrimental.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…We live in an area with tight parking restrictions. nearly entirely two-hour metered parking, except on Sundays and Holidays, from 8 AM to 6 PM; many residential-only spots with vigorous enforcement; and only one block in this high-density residental and commercial neighbor with time-unlimited parking with a residential sticker.

We do own one deeded full-time unlimited parking space…
I once got a $100 ticket for briefly parking in the bike lane in front of the shop.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 07:47 AM.