Old 12-03-20, 09:25 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Thanks for that link. I'm definitely going to check them out, and I can already see that a few of the routes pass fairly close to where I now live.

And I do know quite a few of those roads from my motorcycle days, but I have been curious about what it's like to ride them on a bike in terms of safety. This was something noglider mentioned in another thread, but in a lot of ways I felt safer in the city where keeping up with traffic (or closer to traffic speed), or using a dedicated lane, was usually a good option. Plus, so much is going on that people are usually forced to pay attention in the city, whereas here I see WAY too many people fooling around with their phones as they pass, and way too many mommy's doing ridiculously things in their SUV's.
I agree with Tom. I've been sharing the road since 1972 and I rode those LI roads from 1979 - 2014, then I moved to the city. The last time I rode on LI I felt more at risk and uncomfortable for the reasons you cite - the vehicles are now much larger, they are driving faster and many are distracted. LI roads are more congested, drivers are more aggressive. I don't experience that when I ride out of the area, for example in Vermont.

It's also possible that I want to enjoy the scenery and that pulls my attention away from situational awareness. When I cycle in the city, especially when I'm commuting vs. a weekend ride my awareness is tuned into my immediate surroundings. I ride home up 6th Avenue and I never notice when I pass Radio City Music Hall, for instance. It's much easier to take a lane or opt for a route with a bike lane, with all their faults. Even so, I ride more now than I did then. There are other reasons - my kids are grown being a big one, but I have more options because I'm comfortable in urban settings. I can go in any direction from my door - rides to Coney Island or Flushing Meadows or Rockaway, Orchard Beach, etc etc can be a blast. Even just the perimeter of Manhattan - 30 miles of waterfront variety. If I want to see more green I can go through the Bronx or over the GWB and head north. It's not for everyone, for sure but it sure is varied and often it's just a subway ride home if necessary.

Last edited by ascherer; 12-03-20 at 09:28 PM. Reason: thinko
Likes For ascherer: