View Single Post
Old 01-11-24, 05:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,191 Times in 1,335 Posts
I think wife is more fearful than not interested. I think she is looking forward to the spring type training/stabilizer wheels on a new mixte.

She isn’t interested in a recumbent.

I’m not 100% sold on the spring stabilizers, but they appear safer than rigid ones; and upright adult tricycles. And the wheels can be easily removed.

Since I started looking at more stable 3 wheel bikes a year ago, my take-away has been that most are heavy and/or lower quality. The thought of loading 45-50lbs of #*%& in the back of our van to take a ride along the beach is not an attractive proposition to me.

My hope with this thread was that someone would have had some experience with adding them to a bike and whether they were good or garbage, or use this, or don’t waste your money.

I appreciate the suggestions. They are all very good. Finding an upright bike that is both stable when stopped and safe and agile when riding is somewhat non-existent. The Tris tilting bike I found seemed to be the closest. Depending on how this build goes, I might end up in that direction.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ve dropped the mixte frame off at a shop to have the BB faced and the threads chased, head tube faced, and have the cups installed. Will probably decide this weekend on the stabilizers and start the build next week.

Howver it turns out it is always fun to turn wrenches:

John
Likes For 70sSanO: