kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
...Incidentally, I read somewhere, maybe in Joe Friel’s “Fast after Fifty,” that there is wide individual variation in the ability to tolerate training load and that tolerance is inversely related to the positive fitness response to stress. I have always been sluggish and maybe I’m on the high-tolerance end of that spectrum.
All training load is not created equal. It's a lot easier for me to get a high CTL doing a few tempo rides during the week and riding brevets every weekend than someone riding intervals all week and racing on the weekend. It takes me a lot more hours, but none of them are particularly stressful. I also just got my first power meter last season but didn't really change my training at all. I just wanted to get a baseline for a normal season so it's been interesting for me to track.

My big takeaway from "Fast After Fifty" is that we need more rest as we get older, so we need to build that into the plan. I've also noticed that weight-lifting a few times a week really helps a lot with the aches and pains that come with long hours in the saddle, which I didn't notice when I was younger. I'm also not as fast as I used to be, and I expect I'll get slower as I get older, so I've kind of given up on being fast and focus instead on overall fitness and having fun on the bike.