View Single Post
Old 09-12-17, 01:04 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Why the move to compact cranks?

This may not belong in this forum, but we often discuss upgrading our C&V bikes with modern components. I currently ride a 1x6 with Campagnolo Nuovo Record cranks, a single 52t outer ring, and a 13-24 freewheel. I live on a flat island and only use the 2-3 smallest cogs on the freewheel. It's so flat here that I used to exclusively ride fixed gear, but I wanted those extra gears for when I am riding into the wind.

Modern bikes seem to be moving toward compact cranksets with smaller chain rings and larger cassettes. Why is this? I was told it had something to do with pedaling efficiency and maintaining a steady cadence.

I am toying with Rivendell's Sugino XD2 compact crank which is 40t x 26t with a chain guard on the outer ring (https://www.rivbike.com/products/sug...rank-40t-x-26t. I'm not sure if I can get a larger freewheel for my Shimano 105 rear hub. I'm not even sure why I want to do it except I am intrigued... and I like the idea of pedals that taper out.

So what is the argument for smaller chain rings and larger freewheels/cassettes?