Old 07-28-19, 07:39 PM
SECOND SUMMER

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightweight frames offering a more upright position

I'll post this thread in another category if this isn't the right venue to try and get some answers. Two years ago, at the age of 62, I broke my neck and had my spine fused (C1-3) as the result of a nasty bike crash. According to my neurosurgeon, I'm blessed not to be dead or in a wheelchair. I have a ton of experience with road riding over the past 45 years (RAAM, USCF Cat 1, commuting, international bikepacking / touring). I didn't drive much before the accident, and for the last 3 years haven't owned a car or driven. I've had some experience with trike recumbents and two wheel recumbents over the years but in my attempt to still do some cycling, I'm finding that my modified Co-Motion touring bike with a stem riser gets me in a more comfortable upright position while maintaining some level of performance. I'll never be able to do the kinds of adventure rides I used to do but trying to make the best of a bad situation. The Co-Motion, however, wasn't designed for a stem riser and the front-end handling is a bit sketchy as a result; the setup is also very heavy (30 lbs). I'm using a Jones bar as well. I'm now looking at custom frame options but I'd also appreciate any feedback on stock frames that provide a substantially higher upright position - preferably carbon fiber or aluminum for a lighter weight. Before my crash, I rode carbon fiber bikes from Trek, Specialized S-Works, and Giant; all in the 15 lb range. I would be happy to find something sub-20 lb that meets my main requirement of a more upright position (almost like a beach cruiser - especially with the Jones bars). Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!