Old 01-07-20, 11:49 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's all about expectations on the ride. If it is a drop ride then of course no one cares and it's everyone for themselves. When it's no-drop... Then don't crap on the etiquette. Everyone agreed to it beforehand.

The issue isn't 1 or 2 people deciding o ride faster. The issue is usually you have a good group going that people really like to ride with then someone shows up and encourages everyone to ride faster than usual. Sounds like fun at first but then the group breaks up, someone at the back gets pissed because now they're alone on streets they don't like to even ride on let alone ride on them alone. The ride comes in 1-2 riders at a time as it's just been shredded apart. A handful may now like that but it's killed the group feel for the majority of the people who ride it normally as their ride. It's how rides die over time. If you're always going to be riding alone after getting your teeth kicked in and you know it's not going to change anytime soon a lot of people will opt to leave (note - this is also what sucks about entry level racing).

So, yeah - you know the setting for the ride before it starts. Stick to it or find/start a different ride.

Anecdote - I ALWAYS saw myself as the one who is disappointed that the ride isn't what was "advertised". Nothing more depressing than thinking you get to push yourself for 2 hours with friends only to find that one person decides to play rabbit...no one can turn that down. It got to the point where I just ride alone or simply state from the start, "I'll ride sweep". The only other way I ride with my friends/team is if they call it out as a "recovery" day. "You're not supposed to be riding any faster than me remember...it's recovery day."

This year I rode a lot more than in previous years. More than once i would be leading out a ride (everyone says they want to go slow so we go at my pace until x miles in kind of thing) and eventually someone would come up and go, "Hey - you said we were taking it easy today." or some such.

Drove it home when Leah - who I work with (Cat 2 women's racer) and never ride with as she never knows how to shut it off - stopped asking if I wanted to spin with her on rest days. "Why not?" "You go too f'n hard. Last time I was riding mid to high tempo the whole time." "Good...I was riding nearly all out. Your rest days are usually still too fast for me." "Not anymore apparently."

Anymore we just ride. Everyone I ride with knows I suck. When I'm getting pushed too hard and others are just rolling and talking I just usually say, "I can't keep this up for 2 hours today guys. That's fine though. I know the route. Feel free to keep it rolling without me. If you want to ride with me though I am going to need to dial it back." Their choice.

Likes For Psimet2001: