Old 01-19-20, 01:21 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I definitely prefer to have fenders on my winter bike. In my locale, they spread a mixture of salt and sand on the streets, so it gets mixed with the slush and all gets slung up onto the bike. I rode my summer bike one day because I thought the streets were clear, and it was covered in sticky grit when I got home.
No sand here (on purpose at least, the lakefront bike path is another story!) but I can totally relate! Thats what I'm trying to avoid, especially since I finally picked up the sugino 75s I've been eyeing for over a year (along with a new chainring and chain). Everything is still so pristine, I dont want it to get trashed as much as the old ones were. Its really unavoidable if you want to ride in winter without fenders though.

There's a tradeoff between clearance and protection. I think you generally want enough clearance so a "typical" piece of gravel stuck in your treads won't hit the fender. On the other hand, more coverage will keep your bike cleaner. I don't think it affects ride quality, especially given all of the other encumbrances such as bulky clothing, boots, and studded tires.
So how much space would you estimate I need with these tires on snowy pavement? Like half an inch all the way around? More?

I'm afraid that my winter bike is no longer single speed. I just strung up an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster hub for it. There's a hill where, if I stand up to pedal, I lose my traction, so having a lower gear helps me push through that stuff.
Cool. Not a bad choice of hub for bad weather if you ask me. When I rode in Pittsburgh I would always have issues with traction on hills in the snow. I find riding fixed really helpful for that though since you get more immediate road feedback. I just gear down in the winter in general for that reason.