Old 11-07-21, 06:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
After a newbie resurrected your thread a few days ago, I just saw your post now where you said:

Originally Posted by pinholecam
... ..., so I have not had the urgency to make a specific bike box (from cardboard).
That said, I have made one for my Change Bike (folding bike) and I am sure a box for this bike will be smaller since there is no need to cater for the width of a fold.

To make a box out of cardboard, I just take 2 bike boxes from the LBS, open them up > cut to dimensions > tie together with garden wire.
If you make a box for your bike and want it to last for a while, consider Coroplast instead of cardboard. If you are not familiar with it, it is basically corrugated cardboard made from plastic instead of wood fiber. It is stiffer and would take a bit more work to make your box, but would hold up longer than cardboard.

A few years ago I bought a sheet of it from Home Despot, at that time a 4 X 8 sheet was a bit over $20.

I wanted to stiffen up the sides on my S&S Backpack case where there is a large 26 X 26 flat area, had previously used cardboard. Bought the Coroplast for that, and since have used it for several other small projects where I wanted a stiffener for one purpose or another.