View Single Post
Old 02-24-11, 08:12 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't take flu shots either. Their effectiveness is questionable at best since they only protect you against some known strains and new strains mutate almost monthly. All my coworkers take flu shots and most get flu anyway. I took it once and I was sick after that for over 3 months. I said, thanks, I'd rather rough it out once in a blue moon than risk being sick non-stop for few months again.

I know some doctors and researchers who are against the flu shots. They say they provide a false sense of protection for most people and there is little explanation of their effectiveness provided. There is a good chance that your coworker would get sick anyway, he just was unlucky to catch a rare strain of flu.

I get a lot less sick in the last few years than I started riding regularly, but when I do it's usually quite nasty. I no longer get those mild colds that go away by themselves in a week or so. I get these awful head infections (ears, throat, eyes, etc) that are very painful and last over a week. I haven't had any lungs or bronchi problems either, it's from the throat up. And I hardly ever get serious sinus infections since I had a surgery and they're all open wide for draining. But again, on the flipside: I used to get colds literally once a month throughout the year, now I get sick once, maybe twice a year at most.

Last edited by AdamDZ; 02-24-11 at 08:16 PM.