atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
I'm considering upgrading to the 1030 -- I waterlogged my Touring (which had its quirks but did the job) and replaced it with a new Touring, but the new one has a software issue I've seen confirmed by others online -- it won't restart navigation in the middle of a course, and it crashes more often than my old one, so restarting mid-course is a common occurrence. Sigh. (It will still do breadcrumb style display of the course after that, but the point to me of having a fancy GPS is to have turn-by-turn.) I don't care about any of the social media stuff or most of the performance metrics (though the barometric altimeter and temp sensor in the Touring I did like -- I don't do well in heat and it's useful to see the temperature plot when I'm looking back at a ride.) I won't be able to use the out-front mount with the battery; my handlebar bag is in the way, but it looks like the charging port is accessible when it's on a stem mount.
I've used my 1030 successfully on two brevets so far (400k and 600k) with no issues, both times experienced some moderate to heavy rain during the ride. Though to be honest, I didn't fully trust it (it's a Garmin, after all, lol) and actually had the Edge 520 stashed away inside my bag, recording as backup in case the 1030 locked up or did something stupid.

And yes, you can charge the 1030 easily with a USB battery pack while it is attached to a stem mount (well... unless your spacer cap gets in the way). With the out front mount, on the other hand, the USB port is very easily accessible.