Old 08-05-18, 08:54 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
My backup plan is the mobile phone, but one thing I like about using the GPS cue sheets (e.g. with the Garmins, not sure if the other brands support them) is that I can mark down other point of interests such as the checkpoints, petrol stations, 24-hour convenience stores, etc in RideWithGPS and the exported points will show up on the Garmin's cue sheet. Helps plan out when and where to refill water, get food, take a short nap and so on with distance to the location clearly displayed on the Garmin.

Also when plotting the route out via RideWithGPS I always go through RWGPS's auto-generated turn cues to make sure they match with the official cue sheets, making sure to delete the extra ones and add any that RWGPS failed to generate. It also serves as a way to verify that I traced the route correctly in RWGPS.

Although I carry the official cue sheet with me in my pocket, but I rarely refer to them. Main problem is the distance marked on the sheets are only accurate up to some point; after you take some detours (e.g. ride 3km to an overnight hotel/homestay), or due to discrepancy between your GPS distances, the distances on the paper sheet can go out of sync with your GPS.

Last edited by atwl77; 08-05-18 at 08:58 PM.