Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Take a year off. It's ok. Maybe you'll miss it then come back. Maybe you won't. If the racing isn't making you happy, don't do it.

Or, try something else, like cross, track, mountain or gravel. You might find you like those other things more. Or maybe the competitive side of those things suits you better.

I was pretty much ready to give up racing, then I took up track. I'm having fun again. I spend a lot of time in the gym. My on-bike training is usually on my trainer or the stretch of road in front of my house. Some people would find that miserable. I don't.
I was going to write something but your assessment is very similar to mine. I will do a road ITT or HC if it suits my fancy. I will do timed or team events at the track. I love the structured workouts in Carson at the indoor track. I like to go to the gym and build a balanced physique. I train on the road on the same routes and at the San Diego Velodrome.

What I do not want to give up is the intensity. For masters and probably elite riders, IMHO and experience, intensity is key to all things good concerning exercise. Without a racing goal or being in good enough shape to workout with the gang at Carson, gym work is not enough...anymore. The gym is very good, I mean really very good. but slamming sprints with a peer at Carson at the top of our game or riding team events as fast as possible is just amazing.