Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
What's the group consensus on the 80/20 rule? For those not familiar, it's a training regimen which suggests that the athlete train their body at a slow, slow rate for the duration of their exorcise (80%), while exerting themselves maximally for the remaining 20% of the exorcise. Has anyone tried this practice for an event? Cat V, Triathlon, etc.?

*My girlfriend got me a book on this subject and instead of returning the book (because it sounds like BS) I figured I'd at least ask others for advice first.

Thanks
No, I have not used that training protocol. However, there is a lot of training dogma that gets written about and repeated as fact. For example, "stay out of zone 3 because it offers no more benefit than zone 2 and just makes one tired". I think that may be part of the premise for the 80/20 rule but I am sure that it is all explained in the book.

I use coaches and my current coach provides his training manual and structures a program with workouts for me that supports my goals. My endurance work is zone 3. Also, I do active recovery rides. And my program is periodized. And I have had several coaches and none of them have used an 80/20 approach as defined above.

Having said that, I do not do centuries, gonzo endurance rides / races and etc. If one is going to ride long distances then one has to train at a level of effort that supports the distance and develop strength and adaptation on the bike for the duration of the event.

If you just want to get in better cycling shape, any consistent workout program that you are willing to do will get you in better shape. "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit." Aristotle.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-17-19 at 11:12 AM.