Old 05-23-19, 03:36 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
My main motivation to do it eastward (if using the Amtrak) is to spend the Saturday night in Pittsburgh. It seems that we should be done on our last day early afternoon and Cumberland, MD is not the most exciting city to wait around for the train. Also 1800 ft does not sound like that big over climb overall so doing it over 20 miles sounded better than over 40. But I never had a consistent 1.5% grade before. Is there prevalent wind direction? It seem I can find bed/train reservations in either direction at this point and will keep bike disassembled on the train.
Maybe I don't understand the logistics. Don't you spend Saturday night in Pittsburgh either way? If you go south east, you end in Cumberland and catch the train back to Pittsburgh. If you go north west, you still end on your last day in Pittsburgh.

While I agree that Pittsburgh has more going on, I feel like you would finish the trail, have time for a leisurely meal, and then be off to the train station. Seems like there wouldn't be so much time there that you'd be bored out of your mind. Still, if it's nightlife you're after, then, yes, ending in Cumberland would be a bummer because I don't think there's any nightlife to speak of on the train.