View Single Post
Old 06-17-19, 08:52 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
When we spec'd our Seven Ti back in 2012, we specified cantilevers front and back with a rear disc also. (as late as 2016 one of the large tandem builders, the name starts with S, told us how unsafe a front disk was, particularly on carbon fork). We have brifters, the 6703 Ultegra tandem cranks -10speed, XT rear d/r.We used the premium Shimano cantilevers and never had any problem but I was never really happy either. I ran the disk with a bar end shifter on the right drop bar....worked great for "fanning the brakes" on long downhills. Then in 2017 while touring out in Solvang CA the front shifter locked up. I loosed the cable and we pedaled back from Los Olivos in the little ring. I was able to swap out stuff, move the barcon to the left and use it for the chain rings. I put the disc on the right brifter and its still there.

Next---when we got home I bought a set of Avid CX v-brakes that did indeed work with the brifters. Great action, great braking, WOULD NOT CLEAR MY FENDERS. (They are now for sale so anyone ?? let me know )This may not be an issue for many but we spec'd the tandem to run big if we wanted to. We run 40mm Schwalbe Dureme's on 48 spoke Paul/Velocity Dyads when we travel overseas. We run Spinergy's with 28 or 32's at home. I have now gone to a set of Avid V-brakes with travel agents like we had on our first bike. (By the way, front V-brakes are what the big S company recommended) The front is on a brifter, the back V brake is on the the bar end shifter (excellent parking brake also) and the rear disc is on the right brifter.

I'm really happy with this setup. And, the V-brakes are very simple to adjust when we change wheel sets.